background

VHS WRESTLING TEAM HONORS DAD

On Friday Jan 2nd, mom and I went to the start of the Valdosta Wrestling Invitational. The coach, Benjy Scarbor, and the Wildcat Wrestling Staff wanted to honor dad for all his years as the announcer for this tournament. The tournament was yet another thing that my dad volunteered to do and I enjoyed him being there with me when I was in high school. They gave us roses and created a trophy in honor of dad which was named the Commander Bill Butler Sportsmanship Award. It was such a sweet presentation. (not the best picture which is why I'm assuming it didn't make it into the newspaper.)
This was the caption that came with the pic on the internet Sat Jan 3rd.
Valdosta High head wrestling coach Benjy Scarbor presents Elizabeth Butler and Heather Butler, left, with red roses Friday afternoon during a pre-game ceremony honoring the late Valdosta Police Department Cmdr. Bill Butler. Butler volunteered his time every year since the early 1990s to announce at the Wildcat Invitational wrestling tournament. His son Chris was a wrestler, while his daughter Heather was a mat girl.
mom, me and Officer Sabrina Smith. Sabrina has been such a blessing to me and my family. She is the school resource officer for VHS and sang the National Anthem for the start of the tournament. She is also a Gator fan so I had to give her a little grief about her outfit, but then I said dad would have liked it!
From the internet on Sun Jan 4th
Perry McKinney of Berrien, who wrestled at 145 pounds, won the Cmdr. Bill Butler Sportsmanship Award, which was voted on by the referees.

1 comment:

Greg and Shara said...

Hey Heather! How are ya?? I'm thrilled to have found your blog (from Whitney).
How special for you and your mom to share that moment.